6 Best Stone Pavers To Update Your Home
If you’re renovating the exterior of your home and researching paver stone styles, you’ll find the choices on the market are truly endless! With such a wide variety of materials, finishes and sizes available, picking the right stone pavers can be a time-consuming and challenging task.
We understand this struggle, which is why we’ve created this handy guide with key tips to make your job a little easier.
So let’s dive in!
What are the best paver stone styles and materials to use?
Before investing in a paver, doing the adequate research to select the right type and style of paver is super important and there are a few factors worth considering. The importance of these factors will depend on your personal preferences and priorities, however we suggest reviewing them all prior to reaching your final decision.
- Cost – Unless you have an unlimited amount of money to spend, cost is going to play a deciding role when choosing a type of paver to use for a new patio, pool surround, driveway or other indoor/outdoor project – especially depending on the size of the area you will be paving.
- Appearance – Generally speaking, the colour and texture of the pavers you use should compliment the exterior of your home and the land on which it stands. However, the importance of this depends on whether you are planning a home improvement project purely for practical reasons or to enhance your outdoor living space and the value of your property for an upcoming sale.
- Durability – Some paver stone styles and materials are more durable than others, making them more suitable for areas that will endure heavy foot or road traffic. If you’re building an ornamental pathway in your garden, durability might be a low priority. However if you’re installing a new driveway, this will definitely be at the top of priority list.
Once you’ve considered which of the above factors have the highest importance for your project, it’s time to consider the pavers you can choose to install. Below, we list 6 of the best paver stone styles/materials available in Australia:
- Limestone pavers – There are a number of different types of limestone pavers available, all of which are very durable and easy to maintain. Limestone compliments many exterior environments and does not stain as easily as some of the more porous natural stone alternatives.
- Marble pavers – Marble is a denser and harder form of limestone and as such, it is very durable and resistant to heat. Its luxurious appearance will definitely add curb-side appeal to your home however, it comes with a price. If you’re working on a budget, marble pavers require more investment.
- Granite pavers – Granite is harder than marble or limestone, making it even more durable which is ideal for high foot traffic areas. It is relatively stain resistant too but because it’s porous paver (like marble and limestone), if you’re concerned that staining is likely to be a major issue, we strongly recommend sealing the pavers on a regular basis.
- Travertine pavers – A form of limestone that is formed from hot spring deposits, travertine is more brittle than normal limestone. As such, it’s not recommended for use in high traffic areas. However, its attractive appearance and naturally slip-resistant surface make it a popular choice for garden features and pool surrounds.
- Bluestone pavers – Attractive, easy to install, economical and durable: it is easy to see how bluestone pavers are one of the most widely used paver stone styles.
- Sandstone pavers – Due to their susceptibility to erosion from exposure to acid and salt, we do not recommend installing sandstone around pools. Other than that, sandstone pavers are beautiful and their natural appearance makes them an excellent choice for patios, ornamental features and pathways.
Now that you’re well equipped to decide on the stone paver, can you see how it is much easier to make the right decision on which one to invest in?
The next question you might be asking is: “How many paver stones do I need?” and “What is my investment in my project”
These are excellent questions and we can help you answer them both. Reach out to us online or at 1300 560 560 to speak to one of our experts. We’ve been helping people like you transform their dream project or renovation into a reality for 10 years now and would love to help you too!